Thursday, October 8, 2009

Brownies with Frosting and Glaze



Time to post some TREATS, people!!!

Goodness gracious.. it's been too long since I made a good pan of brownies.




We all have a brownie recipe we are loyal to, right? I mean, it's similar to lasagna: all of us know OUR mom's lasagna reigns supreme above anyone else's, and I think in some respect, each of us is correct!


And like lasagna, once we have a brownie recipe that is tried and true, it's hard to divert from it.

(Now that I've written that, there are two brownie recipes I've collected recently that are sure to top my list too.. Hee hee..).

This recipe, if I'm not mistaken, is one my mom uses often and so, reminds me of her. It's sweet, easy to get along with, and always turns out so well. It's friendly to even the beginner baker with trepidation in the kitchen.

The recipe comes from a Utah-beloved cookbook, "Ivory Family Favorites", and if you already have it, you are well informed that just about every recipe in that book is a superstar one.

I tried to dye the frosting an orange color in honor of the holiday, and unfortunately, my neon colors didn't combine very well to produce a trick or treaty type of orange; instead, we have a gross apricot color!!! Oh well!!

I'd rather have gross apricot colored brownies than not. Here you go:



Brownies with Mint Frosting and Chocolate Glaze
{"Ivory Family Favorites" Cookbook}

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
4 eggs
4 1-ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla


Mint Frosting
4 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp evaporated milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract*
Drops of colored food dye

Glaze Topping
6 tbsp butter
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter, until fluffy. Beat in eggs until well blended, then add the melted chocolate. Mix the dry ingredients all together, and then add slowly to creamed mixture along with vanilla. Spread in a greased 9 x 13 pan, and bake for 30 minutes at 325 (please do not over bake these-- these can't be dry!). You want to take them out when they're slightly underdone.
Let cool.


For the mint frosting, combine the butter, milk, and sugar with an electric beater until smooth. Add peppermint extract (* I didn't have any on hand, so I simply replaced it with vanilla). Spread onto cooled brownies.

For the glaze, melt butter and chocolate in a double broiler (aka, put a heat-proof bowl on top of a pan with boiling water), slowly and stirring all the while. Remove from heat once it's all melted and add vanilla. Pour over cooled, frosted brownies.

Cut into squares .
And eat as many as you can.

You deserve it!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness those look divine! Seriously, where in SLC can I get some ooey gooey brownies as good as yours? Because I am majorly craving some now!