Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tuna Pasta

I just love this picture of Hej' and my hubs, walking down paradise lane and if you notice, it doesn't have much to
do with food:)


Tuna fish has saved my sandwich life since I have given up on deli meats for the last couple of years after a few bad experiences. Stacks of tuna fish cans are some popular cupboard entries in this home, and besides sandwiches, I love to pair the stuff up with pasta and rice!

I mean, I'll eat tuna straight out of the can if that's what it takes. I like cheap tuna, I love the thick albacore tuna steaks, and I adore sushi made with fresh tuna. Give to me in any form!

With my husband in finals this week, I've had a few solo dinners just like he has at school and so with his absence, I discovered last night, a favorite, 5 minute, tuna-fish dinner concoction, which he, quite honestly, is probably thankful to have missed! It's kinda tuna-gravy inspired with the peas but then has shots of fresh cheese and some zingy lemon- my favorite all-natural flavor booster!

... and I know it sounds kinda ick, but if you are a fan of the stinky canned fish, throw your skepticism out the door and give this a shot. I don't do measurements well when I'm improvising, so please use your senses to judge how much of this and that you'd like to add.... Cheer o!

Tuna Penne Pasta with Black Pepper and Lemon

Handful of whole-wheat penne pasta
1 can white albacore tuna fish, drained
Freshly grated Parm. cheese
Cooked baby peas
Juice of 1 lemon
Breadcrumbs
1 small garlic clove, minced
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
Salt


Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 Tbsp or so of the pasta water. Add pasta water back into pan, as well as the drained pasta. Add the tuna fish, parm, garlic, cheese, peas, lemon juice, a sprinkling of bread crumbs, as much black pepper as you can handle, salt, and I think that's it. Give it all a good stir and eat for din-din.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Kate you gave up deli meats? This from the girl who craved "fleisch" almost every day when we were tracting? Holy cow lady! I am a cheap tuna girl through and through too! I eat it out of the can all the time . . . makes my hub cringe . . . but the things that we pick up on the mish and in college stick with us . . . hope you are having a wonderful Christmas season!

Egan Metcalf said...

I love tuna! I also gave up deli meat too. Sick!
This looks great- keep 'em coming!
miss you guys!