Tuesday, January 12, 2010

PB Chocolate Cake Heaven



I'm blushing here with sanguine cheeks about the terrible color of this photo. Really? Eww.

Can't seem to find the original photo either- it's nowhere in my computer files. You see, this was made, actually, months ago at the end of the summer and I never got around to posting. I reckon it was because of the embarrassment of posting the ugly pic.

But tonight after our awful dinner (we're short on groceries- just returned home last night), my palate has been longing for something with a high creamy content. I flipped through a few recipes to see if I could nail it down and found a coconut or banana cream pie that I think we'll bake off this week.

Then I landed upon this photo tonight in my "Kate's Plate" file and decided in order not to lose the recipe, it was darn time for posting. And I make you a promise: the dessert tastes FAR BETTER than what my photo is portraying. My cake just turned out slouching and collapsing with all the PB creamy gook inbetween all the cookie layers. Making myself very hungry...

Alas, here it is- a refreshing and rich and easy and luscious icebox cake for you and yours. It is chocolate eclair-quality good.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake
"Everyday Food" Summer 09

2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup smooth natural PB (not unsalted)
1 box, 9oz, chocolate wafer cookies

In a large bowl, whip 1 1/2 cups cream with sugar until soft peaks form. In a small bowl, whisk PB until soft and smooth. Whisk in 1/2 cup cream until light and fluffy.

Fold PB mixture into whipped cream gently until all combined.

Dab the bottom of 6-8 cookies with a very small of cream mixture and arrange in circle on a serving plate. Place 1 cookie in the middle of circle. Top with 2/3 cup cream mixture, spreading it outward to cover all but the outer edges (I was a little to generous with my mixture as you can see:)). Repeat process 5 more times, staggering the cookie layers, ending with cream. Cut 3 cookies in half, and decorate top layer of cake with halves.

Refrigerate cake at least 8 hours.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I'm not sure what you're talking about because that picture looks AMAZING to me! I'm usually too intimidated by my lackluster cooking skills to try your baked creations, but I'm thinking I might venture out on a limb and try this one. Where do you find chocolate wafer cookies? Are they like vanilla wafers? Or oreos? They look fancier (and better) than those two so let me know where you get those beauties.

Also, thank you for the incredibly kind comments. It's kinda strange because I have never felt this excited and optimistic about changing things and I think my new motto will be "a slice of cake a day will help keep the doctor away". I need to look through this blog and make a list of your delectable goodies that I actually think I can make! (let me know if you have any recommendations)

Hope you guys are adjusting and enjoying life back in Philly. And you better let me know when you see that little baby miller on ultrasound!