Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pizza with Ricotta and Goat Cheese



I'm here at my mom's having a ball: QT together, nice view of the mountains, and relishing in her lovely kitchen with lots of counter space:).
Felt like pizza yester evening. Winged my own pizza dough from a yeast, water, sugar, salt, flour, and olive oil concoction, only allowing 15 minutes to rise because I wanted a thinner crust.... and then I rolled it out to an oblong shape, placed it on a large jelly roll sheet, and went crazy with the toppings.
It started out with mushrooms sitting in the fridge looking at me with a frown, begging to be used or discarded. Same with the fresh spinach. So, I took the two, and in a large skillet, sauteed them with 3 cloves of minced garlic, lots of salt and pepper, and PAM. Removed from heat, and allowed to sit.
I then spread Ricotta cheese all over the pizza dough. I sliced up ripe tomatoes very thinly and placed those over the entire surface as well, with the sauteed spinach-mushroom mixture on top. I then finished it all off with 6 ounces of goat cheese, crumbled it to death, and sprinkled that all over.
It baked in a hot 425 oven for about 25 minutes until the crust was golden and the goat cheese had melted.
I loved using the ricotta cheese as my 'sauce' and flavoring it up with the tang of goat cheese, as well as the garlic. Next time around, I'd like to add some sauteed shallots, perhaps another clove of garlic, and just maybe some fresh herbs.


Ricotta Vegetable Pizza
1 recipe pizza dough
8 ounces Ricotta cheese
5-6 ounces goat cheese
Vegetables of your choice (make sure they are either blanched or sauteed first- particularly if using asparagus, spinach, or the 'shroom).
Salt and pepper
3-4 cloves garlic
Follow my instructions above or improvise on your own!
Enjoy.

No comments: