Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lime Meltaways




I genuinely enjoy time in the kitchen, baking off sheets of cookies and lately I'm finding myself in the mood to bake them every few days. With limes basically taking over my life, I decided to create or find a cookie concoction including my favorite fruit and presto!!! Thank you, Google, for introducing me to Martha' webpage entitled, "Lime Meltaways".

I'm as thrilled as a young lass watching fireworks!
Where this recipe has been all my life, I don't know, but better late than never! It's a sure keeper for me.


It's another great example of how some of the best recipes have only a few ingredients.

Anything with butter, flour, and sugar you can bet your life on.

If you are a wee bit uncomfortable with rolling up dough into a log, there is a great video demo here that gives some easy tips on it.


Lime Meltaways
{Martha Stewart.com}

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup confectioners' sugar

Finely grated zest of 2 limes

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon coarse salt


Put butter and 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add lime zest and juice and vanilla, and mix until fluffy. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add to butter mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined. Divide dough in half. Place each half on an 8-by-12-inch sheet of parchment paper. Roll in parchment to form a log 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Refrigerate logs until cold and firm, at least 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove parchment from logs; cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 13 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, toss cookies with remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks.














1 comment:

The Healthy Apple said...

These look amazing...I love your blog and all of your fabulous recipes...you do a wonderful job and I'm a huge fan...keep up the great blogging...
Have an enjoyable evening.
Best,
Amie
www.thehealthyapple.com