Friday, March 26, 2010

Bear Lake Rasberry Mold


We were screaming for jell-O this week in our home. Between the three of us, we had a cold, a lingering cold, and two ear infections. Blah! Glad that we're all seeing the light a little more!

I have to be honest: jell-O is becoming more and more appealing to me as I get older. Shouldn't the reverse be more accurate?? I grew up on jell-O, having come from a family that concocted all sorts of varieties. My maternal Grandma was famous for her Emerald Green salad, a jell-O masterpiece with all sorts of stuff. A true suburban mother of the 50's she indeed was. I hope my blood can get a little more courageous and attempt her jell-O recipes that had everything from pecans, to mayo, to cottage cheese in them.

This recipe here today, is one to please everyone. Who doesn't LOVE raspberries, truly, and the bottom half mixture of cream and sour cream is a perfect marriage of slight tang and vanilla sweetness. Too bad I didn't have more raspberries on hand for we would've done another round of this recipe.. easy!

If you are interested in another fantastic, made from scratch jell-O recipe, try this one. It sounds a bit odd, but is really fabulous and tasty. I'm experiencing a little hankering for it!

Bear Lake, ps, is a large fresh-water reservoir in between Utah and Idaho, with the world's best raspberry shakes. It's a very popular summer destination for all those water-skiers and boat lovers.

Bye!!

Bear Lake Raspberry Mold
Always in Season: Recipes From the Jr. League of Utah

1 3- ounce package raspberry gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh please)
2 cups fresh raspberries (I used frozen)
1 envelope Knox, unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup heavy cream (I used half & half)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream (lite worked great)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Dissolve the raspberry gelatin into the boiling water in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and raspberries. Pour into a 6 cup mold and chill until firm (if you are using frozen raspberries, the jell-O firms up quite fast).

Soften the unflavored gelatin in the warm water in a bowl: give it a stir. Heat the cream with the sugar in a saucepan over low heat just until the sugar dissolves. Add the softened gelatin, stirring to dissolve completely. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Cool slightly. Spoon gradually over the already-chilled, congealed layer.

Chill the mold until firm. Unmold on a serving plate and garnish with fresh mint leaves (if I had had some:)).


1 comment:

Jane said...

i'm going to make this for Easter dinner at the Porters. wish me luck! I love your blog and all your good foodies.