Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Healthy Bean Cookies



Henry isn't thrilled with the idea of eating beans yet. Most of them aren't green enough, tasty enough, or enthralling enough by sight to even test out. I understand that desperate times call for desperate measures, but these cookies are going against what I have never wanted to do: sneak some certain foods into a cover-up meal in hopes the child will eat it. I want my kids to eat broccoli because it's broccoli, not because the puree of it has been hidden stealthily into some pancake that just 'happened' to turn out green.

Yet, as Henry gleefully ate these cookies, packed with wonderful, nutritious white bean puree, I compromised my prior belief.

I'd rather the kid eat bowls of plain beans but until I can talk or reason with him, and he actually understands it, cookies might be the only solution I have to him eating beans.

And you might be happy to know, for your own palate too, that they are quite good- yes, they kinda turned out in shape to resemble hockey pucks, but a wonderful and familiar cookie flavor was definitely there. Fortunately, they didn't taste rubbery or gummy like many healthy desserts tend to and finally, if this counts as anything (this is what confirmed my love for this recipe), my husband didn't know it was an impostor chocolate chip cookie he was eating until I informed him (most chocolate chip cookie recipes call for two sticks of butter, i.e., this calls for less than a quarter of one).

And if you're really not convinced yet, the bean puree melts into the cookie during oven time and has essentially no effect on the taste. You won't notice it!

I think it's a keeper recipe.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Bean Puree

{adapted from Epicurious}

1- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned, instant oats (I only used 1 cup)

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup drained great Northern, cannellini or any white beans, liquid reserved

3 tbsp butter, softened

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 cup dark chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. In blender, process oats until finely ground but not powdery. Combine with flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a clean blender, puree beans and 2 tbsp reserved bean liquid until smooth. Combine bean puree, butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl and beat well. With the mixer on low speed, beat in oat and flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Drop batter (by the tablespoon) onto baking sheets. Bake 10-15 minutes until centers are firm and edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack to cool.


No comments: