Monday, September 13, 2010

Buttermilk Ice Cream


My preface to this recipe will remain terse and straight to the point but being as blunt and forward as I can verbally utter, this is one of the most interesting, but dreamy ice creams that has ever come in contact with my taste buds. Buttermilk -flavored ice cream seems awfully counter-intuitive, doesn't it? Yet, blend it with egg yolks, cream, heat, and sugar, and lusciousness is upon you.

Now, I wish I could take the credit and pat myself on the back for this unthinkably yummy combination but alas, I cannot. The recipe comes straight from this website where I often peruse, dream, and drool like a teething baby.

And one bite of this cold, soft, tangy, but richly sweet ice cream put me in an instant state of felicity. Now you go try it!

Buttermilk Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream

1 1/4 cup sugar

12 large egg yolks*

2 cups buttermilk

2 teaspoons vanilla or half a vanilla bean, scraped and simmered with the cream

Pinch of salt

In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the heavy cream and one cup of sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.

Remove the cream mixture from the heat and drizzle a small amount into the yolks, slowly, and whisking constantly to keep the eggs from curdling. Do this a few more times to warm up the yolks before pouring the yolk mixture back into the cream, whisking constantly.

Cook over low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the mixture and whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, and salt. Strain again. Cool completely and freeze according manufacturer’s directions.

*I used 8 egg yolks and trust me, it was no less decadent! Thus, feel free to decrease from the summoned 12..

No comments: