Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Grapefruit, Goat Cheese, Avocado Greens

Well. I am certainly partied out tonight from the splendidly fun and eventful week of Christmasing. Not a word, but you get me.
I think it can be summed up in a few words: ate, ate ate.

And this week forecasts more of it! Horray!

Annnddd because my body is a bit sugared out, I'm giving my brain a few days to settle from the sweets high before I post some really sensational cookie recipes that are my new go-to's. They are all traditional recipes with some notches turned up and a bit more elegance added. Wish I could take credit for all of them!

We took salads to two different parties this week and after having even more of it today, I'm convinced it's a new favorite. It's inspired by my fridge- had to use up what we had laying around! Do not make this far in advance- should be freshly tossed and freshly dressed. Kapeesh?

Grapefruit and Avocado Goat Cheese Salad


1 package baby lettuce mix
1-2 avocados, 60% ripe, cut into chunks
1-2 ruby red grapefruits
3-4 scallions, chopped
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 bottle Brianna's honey mustard salad dressing

First, the grapefruit. On a cutting board, armed with a paring knife (you, I mean), take the grapefruit and stand it up with your palm holding it in place. Take the knife and working your way down towards the other end of the grapefruit, slowly remove all the peel (even that white stuff-aka the pith), moving your hand back and forth in a sawing-like motion. Once all the peel has been cut off with a knife, take the fruit and hold it in your hand over a bowl (to catch the juices). Using the same knife, cut out the segments of the grapefruit (sawing in between the inner skin- that very thin inner pith). You should end up with 6-10 segments. Reserve grapefruit juice for another use and set the segments aside.

Just before serving, toss the greens, avocado, scallions, grapefruit sections, and goat cheese in a bowl. Delicately dress with as much or as little dressing as you like (less is more for me on this one). Toss and serve.


No comments: