Friday, January 21, 2011

Roasted Eggplant Melts



I was sifting through some photos from last summer and rolled upon this particular one; it seems archaic now, having made it over 6 months ago, but I remember how tantalizingly delicious it was, so I'm making haste and posting it now.

After all, you women and men out there with three and four and five little children blow my mind. I extol you! How do you get time to make dinner? I've got a 7 month old and a 2 year old and heaven be thanked they typically keep each other company while I swiftly throw dinner together, but I'm finding my mantra to be : simple and speedy is best, or else, it's leftover Mac n' Cheese for all of us. And well, that's gotta go.

If of course, I roll upon a time-consuming elegant dinner that I cannot resist trying, my strategy changes and preparation for it takes up the kids' nap time. That works quite well.

Anywho.. if I remember correctly, which I think I do, this simple, easy, simple, did I mention easy? IS GUUUDDD. Let me give it you upfront: marinara, artisan bread, goat cheese, and more cheese, roasted eggplant, and fresh basil.

I think I've made myself clear.
Here's your easy, Friday-night dinner!


Roasted Eggplant and Goat Cheese Melts

1 eggplant, cut into 1/4" slices
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1 French baguette, sliced lengthwise
1 jar, favorite marinara sauce
2-4 ounces goat cheese
4 ounces Mozz. cheese
Fresh basil


Preheat your oven to 400. On a large baking sheet, place eggplant down and season w/salt and pepper. Drizzle some olive oil over it, and roast until it's mostly tender. Take out of oven.

Take slices of bread and place down on baking sheet. Brush each with a little olive oil. Spoon marinara sauce over each bread and place a roasted eggplant slice on top. Sprinkle with mozz. cheese and goat cheese. Place under broiler until cheese melts and bread is toasty!

To serve, garnish with fresh basil.
And clean up that drool!

No comments: