Thursday, August 4, 2011

Perfect Pico de Gallo

It's summer and that means one thing:

Kate want Pico.
Kate want Pico now.
Kate want Pico all day.

It's true. Pico de gallo might be one of my all time favorite foods ever.... okay, all time favorite condiments. Throw in some fresh fish tacos and you can say any heinous remark to my face and it won't even stab at my ego. I am just a lover for anything fresh-mex- we were kind of made for each other in the circle of life food chain.

I seem to eat my fair share of pico in the summer months when come December, tomatoes are either tasteless or pricey, or both, and making anything with tomatoes and cilantro seems awkwardly out of place.

After a little research, I think I've finally nailed the down the perfect pico- it's easy, it's a no-brainer, and it's about a 10 minute process, start to finish. Perhaps 20, depending on your celerity in the chopping-up department.

I think the general rule of thumb with Pico de Gallo is to have an equal amount of each ingredient- so that the onions don't out-daunt the tomatoes, or vice versa... though, I can't handle too much jalapeno, so one is good for me. Otherwise, I try to have an equal share of every ingredient in the bowl- everyone is happy that way. How can something with only a few ingredients be soooooooooooooooooooooooo mind-blowing fantastic? I'm fine to live without the answer.

Adios!


Perfect Pico de Gallo

Roma tomatoes (about 8)

2 white onions, medium sized

1 large jalapeno

1 large bunch cilantro, diced

2 limes

Salt

Cut the tomatoes in half, lengthwise. Using a soup spoon (or some other larger sized spoon), remove the juicy seeds of the tomato and discard. Dice up the remaining tomato and put into a large bowl.

Dice the onions into the same size as you did the tomatoes. Add to the large bowl.

Cut the jalapeno, discarding the inner membrane and seeds. Dice finely, and add to large bowl.

Cut up all of the cilantro and add to bowl. Juice the limes, add to the bowl, and finally, season the entire mixture with salt. Allow to sit for a few hours before serving for flavors to marinate with one another. And then eat, and watch yourself fall into pico twitterpation. Yum.


1 comment:

Keri Cannon said...

Um YUMMY!!! I Want now too!