Monday, August 22, 2011

Zucchini Banana Flaxseed Muffins



Greetings, Monday morning. It's zucchini week; the mighty green squash of summer that we all anticipate eating with great excitement by now. Let's get something clear: I am a lover of zucchini bread- don't mistaken me at all on it- it will always be one of my top ten favorite quick breads to make. However, by October, I've had my fill - and I can only eat sauteed zucchini so many times before I start gagging on it.

So this week is all about some variations on how to use zucchini more creatively and in some perhaps, unexpected ways. I hope you enjoy it!

First up: zucchini banana flaxseed muffins. Clarification: different in my mind than a normal zucchini bread recipe. For one thing, ripe mashed banana, flaxseed, whole wheat flour, and ZERO oil or butter take over the recipe. They add a new flavor and new texture without all the fat or calories. I mean, if it's any indication, my otherwise adorable picky toddler ate three in a row- but let's not talk about his diaper 5 hours later.

These muffins have such great *moistness* (yes, this word makes me cringe too) to them, you will never know they weren't made with a cup of oil. AND, there is a subtle banana flavor with a hint of cinnamon leaking through. The zucchini, well, it's flavorless in this but adds to the moist (argh, said it again!!!) texture of this muffin.

In sum, this recipe has me swooning from left to right and from low to high. It's just good and healthy and satisfying, all in the same bite. Oooh ooh ooh I love 'em.

Zucchini Banana Flaxseed Muffins

{Martha Stewart, Everyday Food, September 2011}

Nonstick cooking spray

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) (Kate: I used whole wheat flour- works great)

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1 cup lightly packed light-brown sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 1/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (from 1 large zucchini)

1/3 cup mashed ripe banana (from 1 large banana)

3/4 cup whole milk (Kate note: I used 1 % milk, worked wonderfully)

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 12 standard muffin cups with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add zucchini and banana and stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined (do not overmix).

Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let muffins cool completely in pan on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Angie M said...

Sounds yummy! On my to-do list tomorrow!

Angie M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

Do you think this would still work if I used almond milk instead of whole milk and used a gluten free flour, a little spark of hope when off when you said Henry ate these and I'm always looking for new options for mags.

Katie M. said...

Rachel- yes I think you should give it a go! Almond milk may impart a different flavor, but it can't be bad! Not sure on the gluten free flour- but give it a shot and let me know!