Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chicken Soba Noodle Salad



This might be one of my favorite dinners. It's so versatile. And trust me, although the picture makes it look like a blob of disgusting sogginess, in real life, it's killer. It's the kind of food I feel like my body takes a deep breath with and says "thank you for feeding me well".

In an effort to save and use up, I only utilized what was in my fridge: green cabbage, red pepper, cilantro, carrot shavings (which I added later, post-photo), cooked chicken, and scallion. In a perfect world, this salad needs purple cabbage shreds, edamame beans, and sesame seeds too, to make it its very very best. Believe you me, when you go that route, you have this gorgeous, eye-popping salad that you will not keep your paws off of. You or your kin.

My recipe is merely approximations, so if you need a bit more of this, or less of that, don't be shocked..

Chicken Soba Noodle Salad

1 big handful of soba noodles (or you may use whole wheat- sphagetti style- in exchange), cooked and cooled

½ head of purple cabbage shredded thinly (or green if that’s what you have)

2-3 scallions, chopped

1 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1 cup)

1 red pepper, julienned

2 long carrots, shaved with a veggie peeler

1 cup edamame beans, cooked and cooled

2 TBSP sesame seeds

2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cooled

Dressing:

¼ cup lime juice (from about 3 limes)

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (for heat)

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 Tbsp rice vinegar

2 Tbsp sugar (may need a bit more)

2 Tbsp sesame oil

Pinch of salt

Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine all the salad ingredients and pour dressing over. Eat immediately. Trust me, you will.


1 comment:

Emily said...

Hey Gourmet! El Pato sauce had to have been made with you and your kitchen flare and fare in mind! Lovely food as always! Ich hab' dich lieb!