Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Health Bites



Why hello.

Hello.

Hi.


My all-too-quick- to- speak mouth can't hold itself back right now by conceding that the thought to shut down the ol' blog here has really been dancing around my mind lately. I'm feeling too busy to blog these days. Are you too? But there are two reasons why I hesitate to close up shop:

-writing
-cooking

And the two together form near perfect unwinding-ness in my world of diapers and tot discipline. After a beautiful, but sometimes more lengthy day of submerging myself into cute little toddler world, which I absolutely love and pray they never grow out of, a little writing, a little baking/cooking, goes a LONG way for my soul. It forces me to keep my culinary erudition somewhat sharp and it forces me to use words like, "erudition". See?

Thus, I continue to blog.

This fabulous recipe, kudos to pinterest, is really quite great. Ever had no-bake cookies? Homemade granola bars? These health bites cross both territories and combine them into one. They are yummy. Addicting. Reasonably healthy and so snappy to whip up it's like easier than kool-aid but the output is far better.


Next time I'm adding in some chopped dried fruit and dark chocolate chips. I know what I'm dreaming about tonight!

Health Bites

1 cup (dry) oatmeal (old-fashioned oats work best!)

1 cup toasted coconut flakes

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter (or any almond, cashew, etc butter)

1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1/3 cup honey

1 tsp. vanilla

Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1/1/2-2″ in diameter.) Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

(Kate note: I also added in a little pure maple syrup as well as a tad bit of maple extract and it was spectacular!)

Makes about 20-25 balls.

2 comments:

Chaci said...

Yum! I know you're unbelievably busy, but I hope you don't shut down your blogs! You're such a talented writer, and are my kind of cook, so...no pressure, but keep it up :) !!

sarahflib said...

I like this blog too and I make things from it all the time. I trust your recipes plus you're hilarious, so it's a win-win. I say keep it up but don't pressure yourself to do it on any particular schedule.