Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cookie Week Kick Off

So, I am cheating and starting this a day earlier than expected, but I might not get the time to post anything tomorrow, hence, I blog now.
{Explanation behind Cookie Week}: I'm kind of a cookie fanatic/junkie and figured why not share some of my favorite cookie recipe each day throughout this next week? It's getting closer and closer to Cookiemas and these unusual cookie recipes are great options for some holiday usuage. This here first recipe has an Italian twist and you may bat your eyes a few times, but trust me, they are delicious. Pine nut cookies, ti amo!
Pine Nut Cookies
{Giada De Laurentiis, "Everyday Italian"}
1/2 cup butter, room temp.
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp ground fennel seed (I usually omit this)
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, room temp.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4-1/2 cup pine nuts
Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, fennel seed, and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, and then add flour and mix just until combined.
Transfer dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and form into an 8-inch long log. Wrap in plastic and chill for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, or grease two cookie sheets. Cut dough crosswise into thick slices (about a 1/4"). Place on cookie sheets, and now sprinkle pine nuts atop each slice (sometimes I just mix the pine nuts IN with the dough- this is yummy too). Bake 15 minutes, and store in airtight container when cool. Makes about 3 dozen small cookies.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Yay Yay!!! Cookie Week! I'm so excited. You're right, this first recipie is unusually, but if you say so. Can't wait to try them out.