Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"BLT" Pasta
Serves 4

My husband has a little culinary crush on bacon and tonight I wanted to try to put our bacon usage towards something other than normal BLT sandwiches and scary egg-creations. I rolled up my sleeves, shielded myself from any bacon grease splatters, and came up with this. It needs tweaking, but I think it's going in the right direction.


1/2 lb fusilli or penne pasta
Salt and pepper
1/2 lb bacon
1 lb fresh spinach
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup almonds, toasted, and cut into slivers
1 avocado, diced
2 plum tomatoes, diced
2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cook bacon, reserve some drippings, drain off remaining fat, and cut into little pieces or crumble entirely. Cook pasta in a large pot, in salted water. In a skillet over medium high heat, saute spinach and garlic in reserved bacon drippings until spinach is just wilted. Drain pasta, and add the remaining ingredients, including the spinach and bacon, stirring to combine. Season to taste and toss with olive oil.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Nice twist on the classic sandwich!