Friday, March 20, 2009

Vegetarian Burritos

Roasted Vegetable Burritos With Avocado "Pico"
Serves 4

This was easy to come up with: I love roasted veggies, goat cheese is just plain good, and I really like Mexican food. I combined the three and came up with this number (it sounds scary, I know, it tasted good to me..) My hubs wasn't nuts about the goat cheese, but I guess I have some training to do.:)




2 medium zucchini
1 yellow summer squash
1/2 red onion
1 red pepper
1 can black beans, drained
4 oz goat cheese crumbles
2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Tomatillo Salsa (you can use your own or purchase some at store)

Avocado Pico:
1 avocado, diced
1 small garlic clove, minced very fine
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime


Flour or whole wheat tortillas
Moneterey Jack cheese for melting (optional)


Cut vegetables into 1" chunks. In a large bowl, combine with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees until tender. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes. Combine roasted veggies with drained black beans and goat cheese (I warn you: if you have an aversion towards goat cheese, I'd skip adding it and use another cheese). Add 1 Tbsp or so, of fresh cilantro.


To make the avocado pico, mix diced avocado with chopped cilantro. Take some onion and mince about 1 Tbsp worth and add to avocado mixture. Add minced garlic and squeeze fresh lime juice over all. Season to taste.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat up a tsp of oil (or cooking spray) and 'fry' up the tortillas, one at a time- just until they are golden brown on each side.


To assemble everything, place place two heaping spoonfuls of roasted veggie and bean mixture down the center of each burrito. Roll up, and spoon tomatillo salsa over along with some avocado pico. If you want enchilda style, top with cheese and microwave until melted.

Be sure to enjoy.





No comments: