Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Craisin Muffins with Orange Zest and Chocolate
Makes ~ 12 muffins or 3 mini loaves

Explanation for this recipe? I love craisins, I love chocolate, I love orange zest/ flavoring. Throw in them all in my mouth, and I've arrived at my own Shangri-la.

1/2 cup applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 veg. oil
2 eggs
2-3 Tbsp milk
1 cup craisins*
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp all spice
1 tsp orange zest
1/2-3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine applesauce, oil, sugar, eggs, milk, and raisins. Mix together and add dry ingredients. Stir in orange zest and chocolate chips (don't overmix the batter though). Pour into greased muffin tins/miniature bread pans and bake at 400 for 15 minutes (if you're baking these in minature bread pans, bake at 350). Brown sugar on top of the batter right before sticking it in the oven gives it a nice, quick "streusel".

*I used the orange-flavored craisins.

No comments: