Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Unconventionally Refreshing



I know-lemons on your pizza- sick woman! What are you thinking? I kept asking myself, Self, do you really wish to bite into lemon slices on your pizza??? My curiosity got the better of me and to my utter delight, this was such a treat to make and indulge in- I was totally pleased with the results and look, if you're skeptical, even my husband uttered an, "Hmm it's good" (I did however, in the goodness of my heart, make one half of the pizza a marinara- based jalapeno cheese version- his favorite). Don't be intimidated by the fancy- pants sound of "Piave" cheese- it's simply an aged cow's cheese that has a similar undertone to Parmesan and you should be able to track down at a grocery store. I did a few things differently from what MS LIVING printed in their issue and my changes are shown.


Lemon-Piave Pizza
{Martha Stewart, Living, May 2009}


1 recipe dough (my recipe down below)
3-4 ounces shredded Piave cheese (my micro plane zester worked fantastic for this job)
6-8 very thinly sliced lemons, seeds OUT
Red onion, thinly sliced (eyeball how much red onion you want on it- I wish I'd put more on)
1 tsp Herbs de Provence (or original recipe calls for fresh rosemary sprigs)
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground cracked pepper

Spread dough out on a round pan. Top with lemon and onion slices. Sprinkle herbs all over, as well as pepper. Drizzle olive oil all over and pop in the oven, either broil or bake at 400 degree's until dough is well brown.


Dough

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups warm water+a sprinkle of sugar
4- 5 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp olive oil


Dissolve yeast in a large bowl with water and a sprinkle of sugar (the sugar helps the yeast to "come alive"). Let proof for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups of flour. Add salt and oil. If you need more flour at this point, go ahead and sprinkle some more in, tablespoon by tablespoon. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for a few minutes until it comes in a smooth, round shape. Grease bowl, and place dough ball back in. Cover and let rise for at least one hour at room temperature.

When ready to bake off pizzas, I tried to do the whole Italian pizza dough toss thing in the air and though it nearly landed on the floor multiple times, it did help in stretching it out and aiding in the dough's desired circular shape. My tossing dough capabilities are a bit rusty to say the least!! ha ha ha.

No comments: