Friday, September 25, 2009

Tuna Basil Sandwich


{images found right here}

My little family and I spent the entire 12 hours of our waking time yesterday down in the DC area and being the cheapo that I am, we packed sandwiches and snacks and valiantly fought our way through traffic and construction.

I love when "leftover" produce turns out to be a blessing.

A red pepper, few leaves of basil, some onion, and jalapeno sat in my fridge waiting to rot to death after using them in another dish earlier this week.

So, trying to be as resourceful as possible, I opened a can of Albacore White Tuna, and started mixing in this leftover stuff. A little squeeze of lemon juice might've just topped it right off.....and even without, it was pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

So, here's how it went. More or less.

Tuna Basil Sandwich

2 cans Albacore White Tuna
3 Tbsp low fat mayo
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
1/4 cup finely diced white onion
1 Tbsp diced jalapeno, seeds discarded
Salt and pepper
Arugula
English cucumber, sliced thin
Ripe vine tomatoes
Dijon mustard
Goat cheese
4 slices multi-grain bread

In a bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Toast bread and then lay flat on cutting board. Spread one side of bread with mustard, and the other with a little goat cheese. In no particular order, begin stacking one side of bread with arugula, cucumber, and tomatoes. On the other side, pile up a good spoonful or two of tuna mixture. Eat! and.. please brush teeth afterwards or chew some strong gum.



No comments: