Friday, January 22, 2010

Goat Cheese & Lemon Pasta

Does it make you shutter with disgust that I eat a version of this pasta nearly weekly? Well, perhaps not eat but certainly crave. I tell my husband, who tries his hardest not to gag while I joyfully mix the goat cheese in that as soon as a log of goat cheese goes down to .50 cents, we'll be eating it every day. In my dreams!

Like I say, some pasta, mixed with some veggie, with usually goat cheese or Pecorino, will grace its way through my body regularly. Today while picking up a few last minute grocery items, the asparagus was on a killer sale, go figure.

I sat in goat cheese heaven eating this for lunch and thinking about how simple of a dish it is, yet, you might say it's one of favorites. Add some peas, or fresh Italian parsley, or leave it as is. Incredibly versatile, people.

Goat Cheese & Lemon Pasta

1 oz goat cheese
1/4-1/2 cup dried whole wheat Orecchiette, or any short-type pasta
1 Tbsp pasta cooking water
Zest of lemon
Fresh lemon juice
Salt
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup asparagus, chopped

In a medium size saucepan, bring water to a rapid boil, adding salt, and cook pasta. The last two minutes or so, add the asparagus. Drain, reserving 1 Tbsp of pasta cooking water (the pasta water will help goat cheese adhere better to the pasta shells). While the asparagus and pasta are still warm, add goat cheese and mix until melted. Season with salt and pepper, add lemon zest, and lemon juice, and eat warm!
See? Simple.


No comments: