Sunday, January 24, 2010

Strawberry Fields


It was a couple years back that the epic discovery of dried cherries in a salad, swapped for dried cranberries, was made. They are a bit more pricey and typically I'm not willing to budge much on that differentiation, but fetus was craving them, those sweet yet tart plump dried cherries and we hence, we paid the extra buck or two. Does Costco sell bulk dried cherries, does anyone know? Can you notify me if you see them? I'm sure they'd be $30/lb. Like gold those precious things.Align Center
I personally thought this salad was quite satisfying and tasty if I do say so myself! Perhaps like me, you've seen many versions like it. This particular one is a conglomeration of many of those and obviously, you can use your imagination for swapping a different nut (I prefer almonds but only had pecans on hand), adding a cheese (goat cheese I kept thinking would be nice), and etc.
For the dressing, I chose balsamic vinegar because it pairs nicely with strawberries, though you could use red wine vinegar or apple cider.

See? It's whatever you want it to be.

Strawberry and Dried Cherry Greens

1 head of red lettuce, rinsed, dried and chopped
1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup-3/4 cup plump dried cherries
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
Goat cheese, optional
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup veggie oil
freshly ground black pepper
salt


Blend the vinegar, sugar, oil, and seasonings together. Mix the lettuce, strawberries, cherries, and almonds together. Pour dressing over and eat immediately.

1 comment:

sarahflib said...

I know Sam's Club sells dried cherries, but I don't know about Costco. The best deal I've found on dried cherries, though, is the Archer Farms variety at Target. They are a million and ten times cheaper than anywhere else. I also got some at Aldi when I was out in PA (do you have one in Philly?) and they were pretty cheap as well.