Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes From Heaven

My other half and I are big breakfast-for-dinner type- people. A good stack of homemade pancakes, accompanied by some eggs, hash browns, sausage, applesauce tucked in there somewhere... anytime, anywhere. Yes mam. I suppose that's where Henry gets his meat-cheese-bean food strike vs his I-only-want-to-eat-anything-that-resembles-waffles-pancakes-muffins-applesauce-hashbrowns-or-scrambled-eggs thing...

And so with the need to get some more protein sources in my child, I've really been itching to find me some good ricotta-pancake recipes and nailed down the exact one that tickled my taste buds to teasers this week! Lemon zest and all. Oh dear me dear me dear me.. my stomach is growling just thinking about 'em.

I mean, everyone needs a good and hearty, reliable pancake recipe---pancakes/waffles are my heros for an unplanned dinner.... and this recipe in particular, add or subtract in the lemon zest, is now my go-to. It works. It's easy. And the results are worth the dirty dishes still sitting in my sink.

Personally speaking, the sauteed apples were a most lovely touch. Not needed, but certainly a major bonus feature. While my fingers became sore with charlie-horses from peeling 4 green apples, I thought of "Sleepless in Seattle" where he (Tom Hanks) talks of his wife having that talent of peeling an apple in just one single strip. You better believe that every time I peel myself some apples, that line from the movie reels through my head and has ever since I saw that blessed movie in 1991. I was 10. I'm 27 now. Still in my mind, that peeling apples in one peel segment. Gesh.


In case you are wondering, this recipe comes from this beautifully put-together website- I just have a cyber crush on this gal. I do. Her photos and creations are beyond my culinary reach sometimes and the charm of it all sucks me in. She's a mind-boggling recipe maniac blogger-extraordinaire.

I think that's all my mind had to say about this one. Excusez moi for the two pancake recipes in a row.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Sauteed Apples

For the sauteed apples:
4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
fresh lemon juice to taste

For the pancakes:
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups ricotta
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (we used whole wheat- worked great)
Melted butter for brushing the griddle

Maple syrup, as an accompaniment

Prepare the sauteed apples:
In a large heavy skillet saute the apples in the butter over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until they are softened, sprinkle them with the sugar and the cinnamon, and cook them over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until they are tender. Stir in the lemon juice and keep the mixture warm.

Make the pancakes:
In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, the ricotta, the sugar, and the zest, add the flour, and stir the mixture until it is just combined. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the ricotta mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Heat a griddle until butter rubbed on the surface starts to sizzle. Working in batches, pour the batter onto the griddle by 1/4-cup measures and cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, brushing the griddle with some of the melted butter as necessary. Serve at once, with sauteed apples and the maple syrup.






No comments: