Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lemon Cream Cupcakes


There is LITTLE question in my mind as to what my new favorite cupcake is. This!

Citrus anything is just the greatest discovery since chocolate.

And you know what? The batter reminded me of sugar cookies. Yup! Plain ol' classic but delicious sugar cookies.

My only caveat in baking these is to watch them like a hawk while they're baking. My first dozen were eeeeeeeeeee, a bit dry and left you cotton mouthed because I let them go two minutes too long. The second dozen I removed from the oven JUST as they set and they were perfect. I think my actual baking time was 21 minutes, but I live at sea level and my oven is generally quite quick. So, watch them carefully (through the oven door! not by opening it!) and take them out as soon as the middle of a cupcake springs back to the touch.

I would also double the frosting batch. Of course I slather my cupcakes in frosting like it's 1999 and if you're the same way, you'll run out of frosting quick. So, double up.

There you have it.



Lemon Cream Cupcakes with Lemon Zest Frosting
{Adapted from Taste of Homes}

1 cup butter, softened (very important to let it sit at room temperature for a few hours)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream

In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until well-creamed and fluffy. Add each egg one at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, soda, powder, and salt in a seperate bowl, and then add to creamed mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Mix until everything is JUST incorporated (the batter is thick).

Fill paper-lined muffin tins with 1 1/2 mini-ice cream scoops. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until they look down. Cool for 10 minutes in racks (unless you overbaked them) and then remove them and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Frosting


3 Tbsp butter, softened
2 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh, please)
3/4 tsp vanilla
Lemon peel (just a pinch or so)
1 to 2 Tbsp milk

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon peel. Beat, adding the milk, until the consistency is smooth, but somewhat thick. Add more confectioners' sugar if it's too thin (alternatively, add more milk if it's too thick) and if you want it more "lemony", throw in some more lemon zest (which is what I did- lots of it!). Frost cooled cupcakes.

Cupcakes are best the day they are made!

No comments: