Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Watermelon Ricotta Salata Skewers

Watermelon + cheese.

I was a tad skeptical of this arrangement found off of Martha Stewart's baby shower ideas, but my curiosity peaked and well, couldn't hold back.

It was my first time working with ricotta salata cheese. Pardon me if my description is bit false, but this cheese had a strikingly similar consistency and feel to feta with a much more mild flavor.

I like it. It's no goat or brie cheese, but for experimentation sake, it was a fun little adventure to have.

I highly recommend freezing the cheese for about 10-15 minutes before cutting it into cubes- that way, a little freezer zap will hold it together better as you run your knife in it.
I took this with me to a shower recently, and felt like it was semi-liked, semi-tolerated.... the cheese is a little strange adjustment with the watermelon, but overall, it's a pretty presentation.

If you want to go really over the top, the original recipe does suggest freshly ground black pepper over the skewers, but uh-uh.... no pepper is touching my sweet watermelon.

Last thoughts:

Make sure the watermelon is cold.
Serve these skewers chilled.
Be certain to lightly rinse off the mint leaves.


Aaaaannnnddd...... that's it!


Watermelon Skewers

1 whole seedless, ripe watermelon, cubed
10 ounces ricotta salata, cubed
2 bunches fresh mint leaves

Place watermelon, cheese, and mint leaves on a plate in desired order. Run a wooden skewer through and and chill, covered, until ready to serve.


No comments: