Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Peppermint Meltaways





Every time the yuletide season rolls around, I always feel like I have to "up" last year's cookie recipe. It's an odd mental mini-civil war within my head that I cannot with reason, explain logically.

Well, eat your heart out 2010. I think I have my new favorite Christmas cookie recipe: peppermint meltaways with freshly dashed peppermint pieces all over it. Kleenex. Kleenex please my mouth is drooling.

Anyway. Need I fawn more over these?? And have you ever had a meltaway before by the way? They live up most accurately to their name. Melts.right.in.your.mouth. Instantly.

This post shall end here. There is a craving firing within me for another one of these. Must quickly gallop downstairs and answer that craving.


Holiday Peppermint Meltaways

{Land O Lakes}

Cookie:

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

Frosting:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 TBSP butter, softened

1 to 2 tablespoons milk

1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

2 to 3 drops red food color, if desired

Candy canes or hard peppermint candy, crushed

Combine butter, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cornstarch. Beat until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate until firm (30 to 60 minutes).

Heat oven to 350°F. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand for a couple of minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, combine 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and just enough milk for desired consistency (I like the frosting thicker) in a small bowl. Stir in food color, if desired. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Mmm... I'm imagining them melting in my mouth right now.