Monday, January 9, 2012

Wicked Marshmallow Brownies



Have I posted this recipe already? Honestly, I cannot remember. But I know this isn't the first time I have made these so-called "wicked marshmallow brownies" and I know that this isn't the last time you'll hear me talk about them.

Why?

Because, imagine: moist brownie layer underneath, suffocating by creamy and oozy melted marshmallow layer atop, and then drowning in a rich and chocolatey, but not over-the-top glaze. SLURRRRRRPPPP!


Most of the time, if you place a homemade cookie and a homemade brownie in each of my hands, I'll tell you what I'd go for first: the cookie. Always. I am just not a huge brownie fanatic by nature nor do I regularly crave them, but believe you me, these little wicked souls might change that drastically overnight. They are really a brownie WORTH eating- I have always thought brownies fell under one of two categories: dull dry and gross OR superbly delicious to transcend any other sweet in existence.


What are you waiting for? Go, hurry! Deliciousness is right at your fingertips!



Wicked Marshmallow Brownies
{Keeping Up Cookbook}

1 cup (2 sticks), butter melted

2 cups granulated sugar

4 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

¼ cup cocoa powder

1 tsp salt

1 ½ cups flour

2 ½ cups mini marshmallows

Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, extract, and cocoa powder until smooth. Add the flour and salt, mixing just till combined. Bake in a greased 9 x 13 glass pan at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes (mine were just slightly undercooked at 20 minutes and I put the marshmallows on top right then and let them cook for a total of 22 minutes- they were perfect, but ovens vary, so do pay attention!). Immediately top the brownie mixture with marshmallows and bake an additional 2 minutes. Use a knife dipped in water to spread the marshmallows evenly- cool completely, then frost.

Frosting:

¼ cup butter, melted

2 Tbsp milk

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 ¼ cups powdered sugar

Whisk ingredients until smooth. Pour over marshmallow layer. Slice and serve!!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So I could comment on all your most recent posts but I just have to say - if there is one thing we disagree on is BROWNIES! They are my secret love affair! I crave them when I am pregnant (and when I am not!) To me, brownies and ice cream are the perfect balance of what I like to call culinary juxtaposition! Hot versus cold, gooey (and crunchy if you put nuts in them like I always do) versus smooth and creamy, black versus white (because the ice cream must be vanilla if you are paring it with brownies), chocolate versus vanilla. Everything I could wish for in a dessert is typified in a good brownie and ice cream. They are like Batman and Robin or like Ina Garten and butter!

Other than that - I wish I could come to your zesting fantasy world as I too LOVE to zest or juice any citrus fruit. Speaking of, have you heard of Buddah's Hand - it is a lemon-y flavored citrus fruit that looks like it has been plucked from Medusa's worst hair day but you use it only for its STRONG lemon zest. Next time you are in Harmons, look for it and just...smell - ahhh.

Lets get together again soon! Perhaps for a cooking/play date!

Anonymous said...

I will so try these tonight! :)