Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Salmon Cakes


Man, is blogging a thing of the past?? I’m not sure how much longer it can last.

But in the meantime, if there is anyone out there, kudos for still reading this blog, and for making me feel like I can still continue with it! With limits, I think blogging is still fun and a fresh way to share ideas and perspectives. So let’s not quit quite yet. K?

I think we can blame the beautiful weather outside on my serious lack of consistency lately. Spring fever has hit us pretty hard this year and if we’re doing anything, it involves being outdoors OR rushing to complete whatever is still left to be done inside. You know.

But let's talk fish.

Leftover salmon leaves an infinite amount of solutions for subsequent meals. It can be easily transferred into fish tacos, thrown over a salad, made it into a ritzy little sandwich, formed into burgers, or whipped into fish cakes.

Oh, and might I suggest you do??

Cakes, that is. Salmon cakes. It’s like taking a mental culinary escape to Seattle or back east where fish cakes are more prevalent. They are healthy, flavorful, and excellent with any other sides you choose to serve along with it. They make an auspiciously impressive dinner for little elbow grease involved. It was some weeks ago, but I believe we had quinoa, and sweet potato fries with this dish. Oh, sweet potato fries are another story for another day. I am infatuated with the things. Yum.

Salmon Cakes

{Always in Season: Jr. League Recipes of Utah}

1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley

4 green onions

3 shallots

1 ½ cups bread crumbs ( I recommend using Panko-Japanese bread crumbs)

2 eggs

2 TBSP melted butter

2 TBSP mayo

1 TBSP prepared mustard (I used a ½ tsp of dried mustard in exchange)

2 tsp lemon juice

2 ½ cups (15 ounces), flaked, cooked salmon

Salt and pepper to taste

1 ½ cups bread crumbs

½ cup veggie oil

Combine the parsley, green onion, and shallot in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add 1 ½ cups bread crumbs, butter, mayo, mustard, and lemon juice. Pulse to mix well. Add the salmon and pulse until just mixed. Do not over mix. Season with salt and pepper.

Shape into 12 cakes. Put the other 1 ½ cup bread crumbs into a bowl. Cover each cake with bread crumbs and sauté in the oil in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown on both sides.

Garnish with herbs, capers, or lemon.

3 comments:

Amanda K said...

Umm, I still read and my husband appreciates it. :)

Amanda K said...

I still read! My belly and my husband appreciate the effort on your part :)

Thomas Mesche said...

Hi there, we are knocking at your kitchens door, missing the spicy enrichment of our Speiseplan. And, much more, your recital, the fresh, cheeky and lovable art of motivation with light hand, for a truly good cyber-kitchen-​​neighborhood, bis bald!